December 31, 2011

Xubuntu 11.10

I gave Xubuntu 11.10 another install on my tester PC, an older Intel P4 3.2 ghz with 2GB memory, GeForce 5200 video card, and 500 GB SATA hard drive. I have to say Xubuntu installs, looks, and runs smooth as silk on this machine. I added LibreOffice, Chromium, Deluge, and Banshee music player. Also upgraded Firefox to v9.01 and Chromium to the latest nightly build of 18.991, and added some new wallpaper from the Ubuntu-art.org  website. I'm using the included MurrinaAquaish appearance theme, which resembles the Elementary gnome theme.  I did notice that my display manager crashed when I installed Nautilus, the Gnome 3 file manager. But I later removed this as a result. I can see why Linus Torvalds recently commented that Gnome 3 and Unity desktops are a mess,  and he has turned to using Xubuntu. Xubuntu offers low system overhead, ver 11.10 offers the latest hardware support from the linux 3.x kernel, and the Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic package manager. This is my favorite non-gnome distro.  Below are my screen shots and a link to the Xubuntu website. Job well done Xubuntu 11.10 !

















.

.



.


.

Below is the included gmusic-browser with the Rhythmbox view.





You can download Xubuntu from here: http://www.xubuntu.org/